Monday 5 August 2013

Babywearing Bag

I had look at some babywearing bags online to go with my baby wraps/carriers, but they all seemed to be quite expensive (well, for my budget anyway). So, being the crafty person that I am, I decided to make my own.

I looked online for tutorials and patterns, but they all either required too long a piece of fabric, or I couldn't understand the pattern itself!

Bugger it, I'll make it up as I go along!

So I did. 

I free balled the whole way and cut out various lengths of fabric. 4 bits for the straps, 2 big bits for the main bag, 2 for the poppered flap and 1 for the internal pocket. I used cotton for the outer, waterproof fabric for the inside of the straps and flap (because it seemed a bit more durable) and some polar fleece for the lining and pocket.


This is the end product. I road tester it yesterday when I took the little one swimming and it was very strong, yet comfortable. Managed to hold all our swimming gear and essentials. 




Things I'd do differently next time? Probably put a couple of pockets on the front and draw out a pattern instead of just free balling! Maybe attempt it in a nice (but expensive *sigh*) Cath Kidston fabric! 

2 comments:

  1. Free balled you say??? This comment with regards to sewing makes me sweat... I'm clearly far to obsessed with my tape measure. Having seen the bag in person, I'm impressed. Yay to free sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Bugger it, just what I said too! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete